Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Streetcar Interpretation Reflection


    The interpretation of A Streetcar named Desire did a good job reflecting Tennessee William's tone of the play. Stanley was played well as someone who didn't put up with being pushed around. Blanche was perfect. She portrayed someone who acted over the top and fake. From a distance, she seemed like a little girl. Up close, you could see by her dark eyes that she was not with it. I thought Stella was played ok. She doesn't change a lot during the play. She's more of a monotone character so her acting is also monotone. I did not like the acting of Mitch. He seemed sporadic. one moment he was happy, the next he was upset. He wasn't shown in the movie like he was shown in the play. It was harder to follow Mitch's actions in the movie.



   The directing of the play was done well. I felt the pacing was right. Each scene ran smoothly into the next. I wish there was more use of New Orleans. Stanley and Stella's house was designed like I thought. Cluttered with stuff, and somewhat claustrophobic, it was clearly a place Blanche wasn't used too. You could see how uncomfortable she was. The movie followed the play well. Every scene in the play was in the movie. The scene where Mitch and Blanche go dancing is a bit confusing. I found it hard to understand why Blanche wasn't letting Mitch kiss her. I was a bit confused by the entire scene. Other than that, the movie did a very good job interpreting the play.










No comments:

Post a Comment